April 26, 2014 |
Tasty Recipes |
Beetroot Salad with Lady Jane Cheese and Beetroot Sorbet
This fantastic beet salad recipe was graciously donated to us by Mission Hill Winery - we hope you enjoyed trying wines from Mission Hill and other fabulous Okanagan Wineries at our Discover the Okanagan event last night!
Beetroot Salad with Lady Jane Cheese, Estate Mint, Blackberries, and Beet Sorbet
- 4 Large beets, or 16 small beets
- Aged dark balsamic vinegar
- Star anise
- Cinnamon sticks
- Fresh thyme
- 1 Package of Lady Jane Cheese
- 12 Mint leaves
- 1 Pint of blackberries
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (try to find something under a year old)
- Sea salt
- Beet sorbet
- Wash the beets, then cook them in water with the balsamic vinegar, star anise, and cinnamon. How much of each depends on your personal taste - we like a bit of acidity in this salad, so we use a lot of vinegar!
- Once the beets are cooked, remove them from the liquid - peel the beets while still hot.
- Cut beets in to desired size for salad, then let stand
- Season with the olive oil and salt as needed
- In a separate bowl, tear up the mint leaves and add the blackberries
- Combine the mint/blackberry mixture with the beets
- Portion the cheese as desired and serve with the salad
- Add the sorbet to the top
- Find that glass of Pinot Noir that you had in your hand, and enjoy!
- 50% Beet puree - beets cooked as above, peeled and then pureed
- 20% Sugar
- 20% Water
- 10% Sherry Vinegar
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil to dissolve the sugar, then remove from the stove
- Add the beet puree and sherry vinegar
- Taste, season as needed
- Chill the mixture, then spin in an ice cream machine
- Serve with roasted beets
This dish is a perennial favourite at the Terrace Restaurant. The simplicity of the dish is the key. Clean flavours, not complicated ones as the quality of the ingredients speak volumes on their own. You can choose to serve as individual salads as the Terrace Restaurant does, or tossed together family style.