Master Wine Club Recipes - October 2022
Below you will find 3 recommended pairings, 1 for each of your wines. Enjoy!
Dr. Loosen Erdener Treppchen Kabinett Riesling 2019
Pairing: Pan-seared Sea Scallops
Recipe by: Adam Perry | Serves 4
- 12 sea scallops
- 2 cloves garlics, minced
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked white pepper
- Flaky sea salt (for garnish)
- ½ lemon
- Pull off the catch muscle from each scallop (the tough fiber on the side of the scallop). I save these to make stock.
- Rinse under cold water and pat dry
- Lightly sprinkle the scallops on all sides with salt and pepper
- Put a heavy-bottomed pan on the stove, and set the temperature to medium high. Add olive oil.
- When the olive oil just begins to shimmer, add the butter to the pan. As soon as it’s melted, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the scallops to the pan, and turn the temperature to medium. Do not touch them for 1-2 minutes then flip them and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Time and temperature will vary significantly based on the size of the scallop, so evaluate after the first turn and adjust accordingly. You’re looking to develop a golden brown or caramel colour, not black.
- Serve them by themselves with toothpicks as an hors d’oeuvre, or on salad greens in a light vinaigrette as a great first course
Giant Steps Fatal Shore Coal River Valley Pinot Noir 2019
Pairing: Cornish Hen
Adapted from: Delish | Serves 2
- Cornish hen
- Salt & Pepper
- fresh garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- Fingerling or yellow potatoes
- Set oven temperature to 425F degrees.
- Season your hen with herbs and spices of your choice. We've chosen thyme, rosemary and salt & pepper. Don't forget to season all folds, flaps and the inside.
- Stuff the cavity with more herbs, sliced lemon, garlic and shallots
- Tuck the wings under the hen to avoid burning.
- To ensure the hen cooks evenly, tie the legs to get evenly cooked meat
- cut up potatoes and scatter in your baking dish. Season with salt & pepper.
- Transfer the hen to your baking dish and let roast for 50 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Catena Alta Historic Rows Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
Pairing: Garlic herb-crusted rack of lamb
Recipe by: Adam Perry | Serves 6-8
- 1.5 lb rack of lamb, preferably frenched
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
For the herb crust:
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
For the pan sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided in two
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Set your rack in the lower middle, with at least 6-8 inches of space above it.
- Grind peppercorns in a mortar and pestle. Add dried herbs and continue to grind everything together, aiming for a uniform size. Stir in thyme, garlic, parsley and mustard.
- Place a heavy-bottomed, oven-safe skillet on the stove and set temperature to medium-high. Add vegetable oil.
- Pat the lamb dry and season with salt and pepper. Season generously with salt and pepper, then coat the meat in the prepared mixture.
- Sear the meat on all sides.
- Once all sides are seared, place the skillet in the oven.
- Roast for 20 minutes, cover loosely with foil, then roast another 10 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 125 F
- Remove the skillet from the oven, place the lamb on a cooling rack, and let rest for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, place your skillet back on the stove and set the burner to medium-low. Give the pan a few minutes to cool down from the hot oven.
- Add half the butter, shallot, garlic and two sprigs of thyme to the pan. Stir frequently until the shallot begins to take on a little colour, around three minutes.
- Add 1 cup of wine and whisk to dissolve any stuck on-bits. Whisk in mustard.
- Add remaining butter, and whisk until smooth. For service, pour some on the lamb chops, and the remainder into a gravy boat.
Leave a comment