Below you will find 3 recommended pairings, 1 for each of your wines. Enjoy!
Tyrell’s Hunter Valley Distillery Semillon 2013
Pairing: Spatchcocked lemon pepper chicken.
Adapted from www.kinders.com | Serves 6
Flattening your chicken before grilling helps it cook more evenly so you end up with a juicy flavourful meal!
To spatchcock the chicken:
- Using poultry shears, carefully cut down either side of the spine and remove (save this in the freezer for your next soup!)
- Make a shallow cut in the breastbone (through the flexible bone) from one end to the other, being careful not to go through to the breast meat and skin on the other side
- Turn chicken over (skin side up) and firmly press down on the breast of the chicken to flatten it out to one thickness
To make the lemon pepper rub, combine:
- ½ cup dried lemon peel
- 2.5 Tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
To make dried lemon peel, simply zest 3-4 lemons, spread zest on a baking sheet, and put in your oven at the lowest setting for 30 minutes to an hour. Alternatively, most grocery stores will stock it!
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight containe
Grilling the Chicken:
- Coat the chicken lightly with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Generously apply your lemon pepper rub over both sides of the chicken (if you have time, this can be done 3-4 hours in advance. Be sure to allow time for your chicken to come to room temperature)
- Heat up your grill with indirect and direct cooking zones
- Over indirect heat, place chicken skin side up for 45 - 50 minutes, or until internal temperature reads 155 F at the thickest part of the thigh.
- Move over direct heat for 2 minutes, then flip skin side down for 3-4 minutes until skin is crisped and browned as desired.
- Check internal temp to read 165ºF, if not move back to indirect until temperature is reached.
- Remove from grill, cover with foil and let rest 20 minutes before carving.
- Place lemon wedges on grill to brown on both sides, serve with carved chicken.
Ventisquero Apalta Vineyard Vertice 2018
Pairing: Beef Anticuchos
Adapted from Food & Wine | Serves 4
- In a medium bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, vinegar, chile paste, salt, oregano and pepper, add the beef and stir to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill to moderately high heat. Thread the beef onto 4 long skewers, leaving a bit of space between each piece of meat (if using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them first for 30 minutes). Grill, turning occasionally, until well-browned all over, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately, garnished with chopped cilantro.
Travaglini Gattinara Tre Vigne 2014
Pairing: Bistecca alla Fiorentina