January 30, 2015 |
Cocktails, Tasty Recipes |
Incredible Infusions - A Michael Bigattini Favourite Secret Ingredient
An infusion is defined as a flavouring of a base spirit with an individual or collection of flavours, and while infusions have been a practiced art for as long as distilling has, it is only recently that they have once again found favour with bartenders and cocktail lovers alike.
With the explosion of flavoured spirits, handcrafted infusions are a natural progression of this growing trend.
Sow, how and what do you need to make an infusion of your very own?
- A base spirit - vodka is a favourite for its neutral and smooth base.
- A glass jar - mason jars work great, make sure the jar is big enough to hold the amount of spirit you are infusing, as well as the flavour you're adding!
- Fruit, spices or other flavours you'd like to add into the base spirit
- Counter space or a spot where infusions can sit and settle while the flavours blend together
- Imagination - anything goes here as long as you want to experiment with flavours.
Here's a great infusion you can try at home!
Lemon Raspberry Infusion
- 1.5 cups vodka
- 1 cup fresh or drained thawed berries
- Peels of 4-6 lemons cut in medium pieces
- Place berries and lemon peels in jar and pour vodka over top.
- Close tightly and shake.
- Leave in fridge 6-10 days until desired flavour is reached.
- Strain and place in jar for future use or pour into martini shaker for lemon raspberry martinis!
Lemon Raspberry Martini
- 1.5 oz Lemon Raspberry Vodka
- 2 oz Lemonade
- 2 dashes lemon or berry bitters
- Lemon slice for garnish
- Frozen raspberries on a pick for garnish if desired
- Shake all ingredients over ice.
- Pour into martini glass and garnish with lemon slice.