September 19, 2014 |
Tasty Recipes |
Spanish Festival Paella
Thank you everyone who made it out to our first festival of the year - we hope you enjoyed all the wine and tapas! Here's the recipe for the paella we served last night - give it a try at home!
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 cup drained, chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced thyme
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into service pieces, patted dry
- 3 chorizo sausages cut into 1/4" slices
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 5-6 cups simmering chicken stock
- 12 large shrimp
- 12 clams
- 1 cup peas
- Lemon wedges and minced parsley (for garnish)
- Cook the vegetables: heat oil in frying pan. Add onions & peppers, and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic and thyme, and cook for another 5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Cook the chicken: Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil and cook chicken over moderate high heat. Add sausages and cook until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and deglaze pan with wine.
- 30 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a casserole dish, combine the peppers, rice and saffron.
- Pour in 5 cups of stock, stirring, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add salt.
- Arrange chicken, sausage, clams and shrimp on top of rice. Set pan on the lowest rack, uncovered, and bake 20 minutes.
- Scatter peas on top and bake another 5-10 minutes more until all the liquid is absorbed. Do not stir once the paella is in the oven.
- Let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with lemons and parsley.