November 30, 2013 |
Tasty Recipes |
Chicken, Shrimp & Sausage Stew
Peggy Perry recommended this recipe from Bon Appétit several years ago, and it has become a favourite. Although the recipe does not call for it, we use the Spanish pimentón, paprika made from slow-smoked peppers, which gives the stew a rich, exotic flavour.
- 1 lb andouille sausage (or smoked pork and beef sausage) cut into rounds
- 6 chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 lbs)
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 1/3 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 14-1/2 oz can low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- Sauté sausage in heavy, large pot over medium heat until brown, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to pot and cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to bowl with sausage.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon pan drippings.
- Add onions and bell peppers to pot, sauté until vegetables are tender and light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, thyme and paprika, sauté 2 minutes.
- Return sausage, chicken and any accumulated juices to pot.
- Add tomatoes with juices, chicken broth, and wine.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Uncover pot.
- Add olive sand simmer until chicken is very tender and liquid is reduced to thin sauce consistency, about 40 minutes.
- Add shrimp and simmer just until cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stew can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until cold, then cover tightly and refrigerate. Before serving, reheat over medium-low heat.