- 1 bottle Ruby Port (Fine Ruby or Select Reserve)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pod star anise
- 4 cloves • ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 vanilla pod / 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tbsp orange zest
- ½ tbsp. lemon zest
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients, except the pears, in a saucepan and gently bring to a boil. Simmer the liquid gently for 5-10 minutes, whilst you peel and core the pears, leaving the stalk intact for decoration.
- Drop in the pears and continue to simmer for around 30 minutes, gently turning the pears occasionally to ensure they cook evenly.
- Remove the pears, and then reduce the remaining sauce by about half. Strain into a jug and pour generously over the pears. Serve immediately with cream or vanilla ice cream.
Page 24 on our Fall Calender!