- 4 veal shanks - 10 ounces each
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 1/2 bunch of Italian parsley
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce good quality canned tomatoes
- Sautéed veal on both sides until brown. Salt & pepper as desired.
- Remove from the pan and add the vegetables and half the parsley. Sautéed until soft.
- While the vegetables cook, zest all the fruit and squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- Add white wine to vegetables and reduce by half. Chop the canned tomatoes and add to the pan without adding the juice.
- Add in Citrus zest and juice and chicken broth and half of the parsley. Return the veal to the pan and cook for 2 hours. The meat should almost fall of the bone.
- Cook a wide egg noodle or fettuccine and spoon the Osso Bucca sauce over the noodles. Place a shank on top and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Peggy's Favourite wine paring with this recipe is Viberti Barbera.