- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking pawder
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup apcked dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- Icing sugar for dusting
10-inch Bundt pan
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter bundt pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess.
2. Bring Guinness and malasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove from heat. Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs and sugars. Whisk in oil, then molasses mixture. Add to flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
4. Pour batter into bundt pan and rap pan sharply on counter to eliminate air bubbles. Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes.
5. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely. Serve cake, dusted wit icing sugar and/ or with whipped cream (unsweetened).
NOTE: This recipe is also in print on our Winter Events Calender on page 22.