• 2 large sweet red peppers
• 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons tahini
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled • 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon curry powder • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin • 1/2 teaspoon pepper • Pita bread, warmed and cut into wedges, and reducedfat wheat snack crackers • Additional garbanzo beans or chickpeas, optional
1. Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
2. Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Place the peppers in a food processor. Add beans, lemon juice, tahini, oil, garlic and seasonings; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with pita bread and crackers. Garnish with additional beans if desired.
Yield: 3 cups.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home